A beloved priest, Fr. Francisco Guianan, Jr., SOLT passed away unexpectedly in his sleep on Sunday, March 6, 2016 at the Parish Rectory of Most Holy Trinity Catholic Church in Phoenix, Arizona, USA. He was 59 years old and known for serving God’s people with humility, gentleness and a great love for Our Lord Jesus and the Blessed Virgin Mary.
The Funeral Liturgy is on Friday, March 11, 2016 at Most Holy Trinity Parish (8620 N. 7th St., Phoenix, AZ 85020):
• 4:00pm – Viewing
• 5:30pm – Rosary
• 6:00pm – Funeral Mass
Fr. Francisco was born on September 10, 1956 on the Island of Rapu-Rapu in the Province of Albay, Bicol Region of the Philippines. His parents were Francisco Guianan Sr. and Potenciana Dy, who unfortunately died when Fr. Francisco was very young. Later he was adopted by Dr. Esteban Hidalgo and his wife Anita, who raised Fr. Francisco and Fr. Rex Hidalgo.
He is survived by his sibilings: Marly Guianan Ebrada, Santiago Dy Guianan, Blesilda Dy Guianan, and Medelyn Guianan Ecal.
He was a very loving, kind-hearted and generous uncle to:
His Nephews: Omar Guianan Ebrada, Antonio Guianan Ecal Jr., Glenn Guianan Ecal, Francisco Guianan III, Rex Giacomo Guianan, Rex James Guianan, and Steve Franco Guianan.
His Nieces: Medelyn Ecal Habana, Elma Marie Guianan Ebrada, Mary Grace Guianan Frary, Girly Guianan Piper, Maria Lisa Joy Guianan, Jonah Mae Guianan, and Karen Angela Guianan.
Fr. Francisco (fondly nicknamed “Fr. Keats”) graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Education from the Ateneo de Naga University. After his graduation he taught at Carolina High School for three years before entering the seminary. He initially joined the religious life with the Blessed Sacrament Community but later entered the Society of Our Lady of the Most Holy Trinity (SOLT).
As a SOLT seminarian he started his philosophical studies at Holy Rosary Seminary in Naga City and completed his theological studies at the Maryhill School of Theology in Quezon City, Metro Manila. He was ordained a transitional deacon on March 19, 1988 by Jaime Cardinal Sin. And He was ordained a priest for the Society of Our Lady on November 17, 1988 by Bishop Leoncio Lat at Holy Cross Parish in Amparo Village, Calookan City. He made his perpetual profession with SOLT on Jan. 25, 1995 in the presence of Fr. James Flanagan at Our Lady of Peñafrancia Basilica in Naga City.
He humbly served in the Philippines at the following missions:
• Assisting Deacon at Holy Cross Parish in Manila.
• Parochial Vicar at Parish of Kristong Hari.
• Parochial Vicar and formator of seminarians at Holy Cross Parish in Manila along with Fr. Tom Gier.
• Administrator of San Antonio Parish in Milaor, Camarines Sur.
• Pastor of Nuestra Sra. del Santissimo Rosario in a very remote village named Badian, Oas, Albay of the Diocese of Legazpi.
• Pastor of St. John Nepomucene Parish in Bonga, Bacacay, Albay.
Beginning in 2007, Fr. Francisco served in the American Region at the following missions:
• Pastor of Nuestra Señora del Carmen in the city of Rio Grande, Puerto Rico where he learned Spanish fluently.
• Pastor of Our Lady of Peace in Kansas City, MO.
• Associate Pastor of Divine Mercy Parish in Belize City and San Pedro Church on the Island of San Pedro in Belize.
• Most recently he served as Associate Pastor of Most Holy Trinity Parish in Phoenix, Arizona.